Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cell Phone for Kids

When do you give your child her own cell phone?   What age is appropriate?  Of course, the answer is it depends.


I bought a smart phone to mine yesterday.  I did not think my daughter needed one everyday basis, but, once in a while, I wanted her to carry one.  For example, my daughter will join her choir group and go on an overnight tour this weekend.  The chaperones are experienced and extremely careful, so my daughter will be safe at all times.  Even though I do not have doubts about her safety, I think her ability to communicate with us will not make her feel she is isolated and will make her trip more fun.

So what am I still debating for?  I know what it is.  There are so many great things about smart phones, but they are oh so addictive.  We have been very fortunate to be able to shelter her from being in charge of cell phone use until now.  Yes, she has been playing with my iphone, but never ever had sole freedom for a long period of time.  Now she owns her smart phone.  Can she manage her desire well this weekend?   Or, will she come back as an anti-social jerk?  I am joking.  I did not lock hers in one or two year contract.  Hers is Gophone.  If I do not like it, I can get rid of the phone if I want to.  That is my safety net. 

And, hey, if you carry a phone, you can take a photo like this on the go. 

 
 
I think the red wreath on the wooden door is so cute!  I hope she comes back with lots of  nice photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment